View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
The biggest aesthetic changes have been the trend towards no bezels, which we've seen a lot of talk over the manifestation of that with the notch on so many high end phones.

Under the hood, most of the big innovations have been around AR and how well processors can handle it now, as well as the usual incremental hardware updates.

I too am on a Galaxy S7 currently, and waiting to see what we see from phones in the second half of this year. I think the Pixel 3 is poised to really lead the way with some big innovations - hardware and software - that I think we will all be excited for. I think the Pixel 3 will lead a 'new generation' of Android devices that will be very impressive.
Okay, I view all the above more as iterative than innovative. Basically every phone has been shrinking its bezel for the past 20 years. The S7+ had no side bezel over 2 years ago, so that's not an exciting feature in 2018.

I haven't seen anything crazy in AR. I don't know anybody that thinks turning their face into an emogi is cool. The new A-class Mercedes uses AR in a cool way for navigation, but I haven't seen anything like that on a smartphone yet: https://youtu.be/yEUr0MpwcXY. Sorry, I don't know exactly where the AR demo is on this, but if you have time it's a good video if you like tech in cars.

I think smartphone innovation has stalled. The improvements seemed magical for awhile. AI out of nowhere. Wireless charging seemed like SciFi. Cameras have been awesome for at least five years. Cloud storage. Google photos. Waterproof phones.

Nothing has got me excited over the past couple of years whereas usually it feels like I'm rolling around with a rotary phone by the time it's two years old.

I think folding smartphones are the next obvious feature that would be innovative. Let me have a big screen, but a small profile in my pocket.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote