View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #1633
AFireInside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The metrics are the same for all provinces though.

Doctors in every province pay fees and expenses so that's not a great argument against this article. Are they higher in Alberta? Doubt it.

Doctors in Alberta pay less tax than any other province. So that's a really bad argument.

Why is the median a better way to analyze pay across the country? I can't find a single article that analyzes median wage in health care comparables. I don't know what the median is in Ontario but I suspect it is much lower given the number of doctors they have.

And excluding the lower end of doctors wages, below 60k is another metric that is equal in all provinces. They're not just looking at rich Alberta docs.

But whatever. If all those number makes sense to you that's cool. We're not a booming economy any more so it seems out of place to me. And our outcomes suck compared to other provinces which is the most annoying part of the whole thing.

Use median instead of removing the bottom making less than 60k. Why make arbitrary adjustments because you feel like it. Are there more doctors that are on the extreme high end in Alberta? That would have an impact on average. Remove that bias.

It doesn't matter if it's the same metric as other provinces. They need to take a lot of things into account.

What is the typical salary overall in the province they are comparing? A doctor earning $200,000/yr in Nova Scotia isn't they same as a doctor earning $200,000/yr in Alberta. You need to attract doctors and if the cost of living is higher in one province you'll need to provide incentive to come here.

For example why would a doctor choose Alberta over Nova Scotia if the pay is the same? They would be way further ahead living in Nova Scotia. You also have to factor in desirability. Outside of Calgary, Alberta doesn't have many desirable places to live.

You need to look no further than northern Alberta to find a history of sub par healthcare because they can't attract better candidates.

They need to account for other variables when doing a comparison like this. Someone making 80k/yr at an office job in Calgary might be considered overpaid but in Toronto they are barely getting by.

For the record I'm not saying doctors aren't overpaid here I'm saying this is a weak analysis.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote