View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 12:41 AM   #6408
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been wondering something the last few days. Ross Stripling is one of the Blue Jays' biggest success stories this year, transitioning from a relief pitcher to a dependable starter. Is there anyone else in the Blue Jays bullpen who could do something similar next year? Off the top of my head I can think of occasions where Pop, Richards, Phelps, Bass, Garcia all pitched multiple innings in a game. Cimber leads the league in appearances but i cant recall a time where he threw more than 1 inning. Never mind Kikuchi as his situation is different. A lot of the multi inning appearances were in low leverage situations, but some were situations like today where the game was on the line and multiple innings were needed. And of course the bullpen games. Romano has thrown a few 4 and 5 out saves.

I guess I'm also wondering what qualities would identify a relief pitcher as a candidate to become a starter?

And if there is no one in the bullpen who is able to make the jump, what route do the Blue Jays go for the rotation next year? Find another free agent such as Gausman? Trade one of the catchers for a starter?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote