View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #785
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
This discussion opens up many other issues. I think minimum wage jobs should only be for high school students. For example, $9 an hour to make extra money, learn about the workforce and get something on that resume. That's what I mean by a stepping stone.

Now it's a cycle where if minimum wage is increasing to $13 an hour now and the people who can't get out hold all the jobs. Or instead of 3 $9 jobs there are now 2 $13 jobs. Where are kids working? Is superstore going to hire a 15 year old for the minimum wage at $15/hr when there are adults who can do it? Do kids just stay home or do they go volunteer. Volunteer experience and now deemed equal to work experience.

So say you're stuck in the $13 an hour poverty cycle? What are solutions? More student loans and funding for vocational education? More welfare? Fix the K-12 school system? Less foreign workers starting a minimum wage? Are there too many workers and too little jobs? I'm not sure.

I'm not as right wing as you think, I have some radical left proposals too. I don't think 4-year degrees should be free but there should be some funding for trade/vocational schools. Or why is there an OAS for seniors but not a YAS for youths? Let's give all adults 18-21 a universal income for 4 years so they can get a good start and not have to rely on parents?
There are no longer enough non-minimum wage jobs in this country to support working adults. It's not as if people are turning down better jobs to stay in the minimum wage bracket. Sure there are openings in tech. But not everyone is in the situation that they can drop everything and get an advanced degree in the middle of their life. Capitalism revolves around a low paid working class generating the profits. While we offshore most of that these days, there has to be someone to work the cheap jobs so McDonalds stock can keep going up.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post: