View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #3568
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's not confuse American and Canadian "gun cultures". The amount of training and scrutiny that Canadian gun owners have to go through is miles ahead of the U.S. I love our licensing system, notwithstanding that some changes are required to simplify it in some areas. Canadian gun owners get a daily background check, so that means that Canadian gun owners have to know the law extremely well, and can't commit any crime as their license and guns could be taken away. The argument that they're the most law-abiding citizens in the country often gets thrown around... Not sure that it's entirely incorrect.

On _Q_'s comment above, what I assume you're referring to as "assault rifles", whatever those actually are, are not "more or less illegall", nor are handguns. Just takes more training, scrutiny, and paperwork. The AR-15 semi-automatic falls into the "restricted" category (mainly because of it's reputation south of the border), as do all handguns with a barrel length over 4.133" (105mm).

Actual assault rifles, i.e. fully automatic AK-47's, Colt C7/C8 variants, and handguns less than 105mm barrel length are indeed prohibited and cannot be owned (semantics, but generally very true).

You can have as many non-restricted semi-automatic rifles in your possession as you'd like, and they may look like the AR-15 and you can take them to crown land to shoot, and can hunt with them, just not the AR-15....

Now, back to gun cultures. America has a giant gun culture problem.

I personally would never have to carry a handgun with me everywhere I go in case something goes down. That's what the cops are there for...
I've had this argument with my friends from the U.S., and they can't believe that I feel that way. They see it as a right to carry everywhere they go, I see it as a sign of a failed society.

I have guns, but I target shoot at my gun club, and I like to go out bird hunting... I don't talk guns with my friends, unless it's at the range and we're chatting about calibres, loads, or other gear. Just a different mind set I guess.

I feel like they're obsessed and guns are such a huge part of their identity, whereas here they're mostly seen as a tool (i.e. hunter or farmer out in the country) or as a fun hobby (i.e. sport or competitive shooter).

Last edited by Envitro; 10-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post: