View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #3567
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
I was down in Texas couple of years ago and the locals I was with started talking about their guns. They had pictures of their weapons on their phones and showed them to each other in the same manner as you'd show people your kids' photos.

When I asked if everyone owns a gun here, they just all laughed and basically said, of course you dummy!

That was a real eye-opener for me of just how prevalent that culture is down there.
Similar experience for me when I worked in Louisiana all of last year. All my coworkers would spend half their time talking about guns. I had a coworker in absolute shock and disbelief when I told him that most Canadians don't own guns and that hand guns/assault rifles are more or less illegal back home. His words were "I just can't understand how a society can function that doesn't allow its citizens to protect themselves. I have my hand gun just sitting in my truck right now and I always bring it with me. In case something crazy goes down in here, I can run out there, grab my gun and shoot the ####er that's trying to mess with me." I didn't bother to even begin arguing his point because that garbage is so ingrained in his culture.

It was one of the main reasons why I decided to move to a larger metro area here in the US where gun culture isn't as prevalent.