View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unless you play Neal with a playmaker he will not realize any of his former potential. Players that only have the ability to finish need to be put in situations where they can use that skill set or they wont be productive.

I would put Neal with Gaudreau and Lindholm. Two skilled players that can get him the puck. As long as Neal's skating and conditioning is a focus for him this off season he should be able to play with those two. They are high IQ and he knows where to go to score goals.

That drops Tkachuk down to play with Monahan. The skills and high IQ from Tkachuk will still allow the puck to end up on Monahan's stick in goal scoring situations. I would play Mangiapane with those two, and have Tkachuk on the right side. Tkachuk and Mangiapane will hopefully help Monahan become more involved in games and less of a peripheral personality.

That puts Bennett with Dube and Backlund for the checking line. Creating havoc, skating hard and forechecking, with the maturity and mentality that Backlund provides and I can see this group giving other teams top lines fits being matched up against.

Gives Ryan options like Czarnik and Jankowski on his wings that have skill enough but need the extra time to process the play to be effective. They have the elements to be able to outscore other teams fourth lines, while being skilled enough penalty killers that you wont be afraid of them being caught out against another teams top lines.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Neal
Mangiapane - Monahan - Tkachuk
Dube - Backlund - Bennett
Jankowski - Ryan - Czarnik

If Neal does arrive in camp not able to keep up than I think it is because he is just not an NHL player anymore. Last year were some excuses, this year there aren't. Play him to his strengths and see if he can succeed. Playing with guys like Bennett and Jankowski that can create offense just inhibits his ability to create.