View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #476
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you have to educate kids, not simply shelter them from the hard realities of life.
lets use a 13 year old as an example. that's more than old enough to have a talk about what amber alerts are for, and how important they are.

then sure, maybe have your daughter turn off her phone at night if being awakened could cause a panic attack in a nervous child.

does a child actually need to have their phone on all night long? I'd be more worried about her/him being groomed online by a perv than her being alarmed by an amber alert.

besides, if you allow people to register their phones as "kids" to not get notifications, you know darn well that thousands of grown ass adults are going to do that for their own phones.
Hey this is great, we have a mental health professional here. Could I come to your office with my daughter for a second opinion on the strategies we've been using? I haven't heard of this exposure therapy thing you're promoting for anxious children. Maybe you're right, perhaps it is time to educate her on the hard realities of life.

So should I just have a sit down with her tonight - I'll be sure to let her know she's more than old enough for the conversation (she'll love the insinuation that there's something wrong with her if the conversation bothers her) - and talk to her about abductions, and Amber Alerts, and how time is of the essence to finding a kidnapped kid before the really bad stuff happens? What bad stuff she'll ask? Oh, you know, rape, murder, torture. All the good stuff!

BTW, I don't want her receiving Amber Alerts at any time of the day. Her phone isn't on (or even in her room) at night because we're not completely idiotic.

Your advice is comically terrible and you're totally ignorant about this issue.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote