View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #218
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am far and away in a better place than my immigrant parents were at my age. At the rip old age of 45 I think they had been in Canada 5 years. They had a hard life, not life Somalia hard, but hard.
I think a lot of people in this thread are speaking from the perspective of children lucky enough to be raised by hard working parents who were willing to make sacrifices.

Ironically enough, your comment speaks to the bigger issue here, which is social mobility. Your parents were able to come here as poor immigrants and were rewarded for their hard work. They've been able to pass that along to you.

Do children who were raised by parents who were not able to or unwilling to help them have the same opportunities? You're also 45. You were lucky enough to avoid the madness going on and are likely actually profiting from it. Would you be in the same position you are in now if property prices were 4x what they were when you entered the market? If the cost of tuition was 4x? If your job prospects were a fraction?

I'm also far better off financially than my parents were at my age. I'm 36 and own a rental property in downtown Vancovuer. I also don't have children. My worry is about the society I live in and my ability to take the next steps forward though.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote