View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #1282
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I think its a stretch to blame a culture of hazing and childish behaviour that started in basic on a drug that was used in theater.

I don't believe its a stretch at all.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...suit-1.5030314

Quote:
ohn Dowe, a plaintiff in the pending lawsuits, will speak at Saturday's town hall meeting in north Edmonton. Dowe, who served with the Canadians Forces from 1990 to 2000, took mefloquine tablets while serving in 1992 with the now-infamous Canadian Airborne Regiment in Somalia.

He said the adverse effects of the drugs were immediate and troubling, and that he still feels them to this day.

"That tour was supposed to undergo a clinical drug trial with Health Canada and the Department of National Defence," said Dowe, who has since been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"I suffered acute symptoms of hyper-vigilance, anxiety, disassociation, insomnia and sleep disturbances. Those were the main ones. Unfortunately today, I still have chronic symptoms."

Quote:
Master Cpl. Clayton Matchee, one of the two soldiers eventually charged in Arone's death, had "wigged out," Dowe said. He was beating imaginary camel spiders in the bunker where he held the bruised Somali prisoner before the teen's body was found an hour later.

The Saskatchewan soldier was later found hanging in his cell. He suffered irreparable brain damage as a result of the suicide attempt.

You had solider's in afghanistan that had days labeled by the mood after they were given the drug.

Manic Monday

Paranoid Tuesday etc etc.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...s-side-effects

https://torontosun.com/news/national...oquine-answers

Quote:
Matchee and his fellow soldiers had been given mefloquine (also known as Lariam), an anti-malarial drug, prior to its licensing by Canadian health officials and outside an approved experimental use protocol.

Troops were neither issued a written warning about dangerous side effects (and the need to stop taking the drug should any such side effects be experienced), nor were they asked to sign a consent form.

Matchee experienced nightmares, anxiety and hallucinations while taking the drug; prior to the death of Arone, when Matchee was still in Canada, his wife saw evidence of the drug’s terrible effects. Matchee was under orders not to stop taking the drug.

On the night Arone died, then-Trooper John Dowe heard Matchee talk about camel spiders in the bunker they were in and spiders on Arone’s body; there were no spiders, and Matchee was hallucinating, according to Dowe.
As Dr. Nevin has explained, “Visual hallucinations are a prominent feature of mefloquine psychosis, which can be associated with acts of violence towards the self and others.”

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: