View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default BBQ and Grilling megathread

It's that time of year! Grilling season is upon us, and it seems like a perfect time to start a BBQ and Grilling thread.

This thread can be about anything. Whether you have a natural gas, propane, or charcoal grill, we won't discriminate here. You can share you favorite recipes, good deals on new equipment, or favorite BBQ restaurants - anything BBQ related.

To start this thread off, I slow smoked some really delicious pork ribs yesterday with an improv dry rub. Brown sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt, pepper, crushed chilis, and oregeno. I smoked them for about 2 hours with hickory chips. At the end I threw them on the grill for a few minutes per side, just to caramelize the bark a little bit. Then I glazed them with some ho-made sauce. I reduced cola, ketchup, mustard, minced garlic, chili powder, honey, and a bit of cornstarch to thicken it up at the end.

I was really pleased with the results for not using any recipes. The muscle fibers in the ribs broke down really well and the meat easily came off the bone. The sauce turned out really well too, it had a nice tangy taste. The cola seemed to add the zip, without making it taste too vinegary.

Throughout the summer I plan to do lots of BBQ and grilling. Steaks, chops, chicken wings - the usual stuff. But I also want to do some big BBQs, like brisket, pulled pork, prime rib, and on Father's day I'll be doing some Flintstones sized Beef ribs.

I used Michael Smith's pulled pork recipe (http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/reci...ork-sandwiches) last summer, and was extremely pleased with the result. I would do it again in a heartbeat. There's something supremely relaxing about sitting around all afternoon drinking beer while slowly smoking a big piece of meat.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote