Thread: The Expanse
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #167
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sort of felt like they stretched out what should have been a 2-3 episode arc into a full season. We went from species-altering events to just sort of "hey, what's going on on this random planet here", which seemed to lower the stakes. The conflict of "belters hate inners automatically, and inners think belters are just a bunch of dumb savages" is getting a bit stale, and frankly it doesn't help that the belters often do come off as dumb savages. Murtry (?) is a fairly lame cartoonish villain played by the actor who regularly plays cartoonish villains, and none of the new characters have any real depth to them. Bobby's entire season arc was uninteresting and "who even gives a #### about any of this" right up until they made it important at the end as a sort of lead-in to next season; I guess it could have been interesting if this was a show that had 20-episode seasons but they didn't have enough screen time to make me care about the cynical-cop-turned-gangster whose name I've already forgotten and his motivations. As for the Drummer plot line with Marko, again it felt like an episode of content, maybe... it wasn't bad or anything, it just felt like a setup for next season with no real payoff. Which, given the ending to ep 10, it clearly was. If that giant asteroid is going to hit Earth they should have done it this season and had that be the cliffhanger rather than waiting for s5e1.

So those are my criticisms. Everything involving Chrisjen is great, because that actress is great. Holden didn't annoy me even once this year, nor did Miller, in fact the whole "Miller in Holden's head" aspect was pretty well done I thought. Actually, all of the main characters seemed to be better acted this season, especially Alex. Overall, if it was worse than the previous seasons, I didn't think it was a major gap or anything. I think the problem people may be having is that this season is more about the main characters than it is about galactic events, and this show has never been particularly character-driven. The world-building, the way the galactic machine operates politically, is what's most interesting and there was somewhat less of that. So if you were waiting all year for these ten episodes to give you more of than I'm not really surprised about the disappointment.

I would like to hear about all these plot holes people are complaining about because I thought it hung together okay, at least grading on the curve of science fiction tv shows, which is an admittedly low bar.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-02-2020 at 08:36 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: