View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #64
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So just for fun, now that camp is done, and I have some downtime until the end of July and our next training camp. I've been playing around with a lot of different offensive looks, right now we run all of our plays out of multiple formations that give us different looks and feels,

We run an ace tight end balanced, trips, we run bunch, and we run a tight that almost looks like a wishbone. We also run an I strong.

So here's the rub, I don't have a lot of experience at the skills position, that's fine and most of our plays are pretty standard.

But I always like to have something special that I can insert when I need it, that's why I have one version of my playbook and the players and other coaches have the standardized version. My playbook has everything I've ever thought of in it.

Last year, I watched the US Naval Academy play and I loved their offense, its based on a triple option, which puts the onus on the QB to make good decisions and make reads. Now like I mentioned, inexperienced QB, so I might teach him some read option this year. But I'd love to be able to pull out something unexpected at some point whether this year or next year.

So even if you don't coach football, or are a casual football fan. I'm going to give a base look and a couple of plays and you can tell me if I'm nuts or if this is way too complex. This is basically I'm bouncing this off of you guys to help me think this through post

First of all the base look

Notes

My tight end will always line up on the strong run side of the field unless its a pass play. I can run this under center or pistol. There is very little motion.

one option plays (pass or run plays) are rare, most plays have the option for the QB to either pass, hand off, toss or take the ball and go.

Ok play one

Triple Option Veer 33 lead dive

Notes

The Quarterbacks main read is the left side Tight End. If the left side TE makes a crash to the 3 back, then the QB takes the ball out of the three backs chest and has the option to either run out the end, or toss to the four back. If the DE shoots for the QB or stays in contain the QB gives the ball to the 3 back who follows the lead through the two hole.

This play can also be reversed and becomes a triple option veer 42 lead dive

Ok so in terms of something more complex. a Option can have elements of pass and run. So this play would be called a

Triple Option Veer (undercenter of pistol) 87 TE Arrow, 4-3 37 option toss.

So basically

X runs an 8
Y runs a 7
The TE runs a modified arrow and is lined up on the run strong side.
The 4 runs a modified 3
The 2 back is backside pass protect
the three back runs a toss sweep to the 7 hole.

So here's the decision, the offensive tackle ignores the left side DE. The QB needs to read him. If he crashes, the the QB has the option to take the ball and run, or toss to the 3.

If de contains, the QB has the option to stay in and pass, the 3 back can now act as a swing pass as well.

Ok last one

This is the triple option pistol 26 counter 37 option toss

Ok, I think this almost has to be run pistol

The 2 back is going to run a counter motion in front of the QB so its a forward ride and decide handoff. The left guard is going to pull. At the start both ends are left alone. The QB's first read is to the counter side (right side). If the defensive end contains up field then the counter is the play and the hand off happens, the pulling guard needs to clear out the DE. If the DE crashes to running back or QB, then the QB reads the left side DE end on the move and decides to hang onto the ball and the 3 back then lead blocks to the first opportunity. Or if the left DE steps to the QB (the 5 technique is tough at our level because kids are impatient). Then the QB tosses to the 3 back to the 7 hole.

Anyways, its something I'm working on, I might not even get it to my play book or rotation this year, but I'd love to know if you guys think . . . right track or too nuts.

Holy the play names seem overly complicated... not sure if that is what you call them or how they are called by the QB in the huddle... This is coming from the Cowboys second ever QB!!!

For Bantam aged kids does it make more sense to give the plays a simpler name and teach the players their individual responsibilities?

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be critical just trying to understand... When I played plays were things like 28 Sweep or Double Dive right... still complex plays but made it easier on the players - especially young players - to remember and know responsibilities...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote