View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
On our team I am in charge of breaking down film for our defence and scouting our opponent's offence. Every year we do more film and I think that the benefits of doing it show up in the kids play on the field. Hudl is a great tool but I feel like I am not using it to its full potential. This year I want to organize plays by formation, down and distance, and play type to make it easier to go back and find tendencies. If you've got any tips for using Hudl I'd love to hear it
So to give you an idea of what I do, and probably why it takes to long. For every offensive play we run on film, I fill in the following information

Sorry for the stretch. But this allows Huddle to track most of the stats and tendencies, usually I would enter in yard line down and distance as well. That way I can either use Hudl reports, or export to excel for my own breakdown package.

you can go absolutely crazy on tracking and reports, but by entering in the above I keep it simple.

In terms of what gets delivered to the coaches and players. The drawing and text tools are huge for me.

I tend to break down multiple times per play or none at all depending on what I see, that way I get my cues if we are doing a film session with the players

By entering in the play information you do get a nice banner line across the top of the video

Then I start doing personal breakdowns, and you can mix technique praise and questions for film session

As an add on, I love the Hudl playbook, not only because I can create a playbook easily, but as I go through the season and I see a succesful play I can attach that video right to the playbook card, so that new players when they review the playbook can see the video of how it should be run.

Quote:
We don't focus too much on our own film. There may be a few plays we show to highlight something we did well or poorly, but we move on fairly quickly. We spend a lot of time on our opponents looking for tendencies (always pass to the right, always run on 1st down, their right tackle gives the play away every time by his stance, etc). We'll do a statistical breakdown on their run vs pass tendencies and strong vs weak preferences.
I tend to be a bit opposite at the start of the year as everything is technique and understanding. As we move through the year that shifts, as well, but we ask our players to do a lot of self study of the opponent films as well

Quote:
I also diagram the opponents plays and we run a scout offence twice a week during practice
Having our defence react and see what the opponent runs has been really beneficial. I probably spend half a day or so prepping this stuff over the weekend. By now I've got a pretty good database and the various team's play books don't change too much year to year so I'm able to save time that way
I tend to like your idea of tendencies, because most coaches are creatures of habit, so if you break down using the export to spreadsheet feature in Hudl or their reports you can get a pretty wicked quick scouting report.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote