View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #32
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the first few months I felt pretty useless. Until they're about 6 months old babies are almost non-sentient beings that just eat, poop, cry and sleep (rinse and repeat). As men, we just don't have the requisite parts unless you're bottle feeding. So, for the first little while I'd suggest that it's important for you to be there for your partner moreso than your child.

But...and I know this is cliche, time goes so fast and they grow so quickly. I was quite young when I had my first kids (twins) so I probably wasn't mature enough to deal with it well. I wish I was less concerned about always being tired, or cleaning constantly, or any of the other little things. I wish I was more patient and just appreciated them during their incredible and ridiculous moments.

Being a dad is ultimately what you make of it. If you focus on the negatives it will probably be a negative experience. If you take a step back and keep an eye on the big picture being a dad is, IMO, the most rewarding experience that a man can have.

Enjoy it, don't sweat the little things and try to appreciate every moment you can.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote