View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #18
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was brewing for a long time and expected.

The principal idea of UN was having a platform for EACH country for speaking freely and for ALL other countries to be able to hear it. The other idea was having a supplementary informal communications venue for the leaders of all countries. The purpose was to help avoid wars caused by misrepresentations or poor communications between countries.

Over the past decades, these two purposes have evolved into something that is no longer supportable. UN is trying to do way more than it should or can. In my travels, I have met various UN staff on many occasions – many of them wearing watches worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, flying first-class and staying at top-notch hotels. The optics of that are cringe-worthy. I've been to the UN office in Geneva once - I felt like a peasant there...

UN peace missions are a military force inserted in the middle of regional conflicts. Paying for UN soldiers to die for the interests of one sect over another somewhere in Africa or Middle East is not always easy to understand or justify. UN humanitarian programs are governed and administered by UN bureaucrats (read above) and are often distributed to corrupt regimes through their own corrupt bureaucrats. All this is self-governed by UN itself. There is just no good way of administering UN budget efficiently with such a huge, loosely defined mandate.

I think UN's mandate should be scaled back to its original purpose.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote