View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Taking a look at the forwards since Sutter took over, it is incredible how much Monahan has struggled.

According to this forwards shot attempt table, Monahan is dead last in shot attempt % among forwards (14/14) and is the only forward on the team that is under the 50%.

Combine that with only 8 points (6EV, 2PP) in 20 games and it's clear there is a problem. It's not icetime, since he's been getting more even strength icetime than Lindholm, who is producing. The problem may be Brett Ritchie, who is not good and whose on ice goals for % is 23% (which is incredibly bad and about 18% lower than anyone on the team not named Monahan [35.7%]).

It's hard to find anything really positive to say. Monahan has fallen off a cliff and there does not seem to be an effort issue, so other than moving him at an all time low value-wise, I don't know what they can really do other than keep him away from Johnny.

Sutter seems to really like Monahan. The previous line obviously wasn’t working. His new line worked well the first game, but dropped off a bit. The younger guys both have had young guy consistency issues in the past so it’s too early to tell. On paper that line should work.

I’d imagine Monahan’s ES ice time has dropped since the line switch compared to Lindholm. Monahan’s line takes really short shifts which I think is too bad, because they aren’t on long enough to develop plays. Monahan is also getting less PP time because he’s not on Unit 1 and he’s been put on PK which evens out the ice time, but obviously not the production.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote