Thread: The stretch run
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #47
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not really worried about this stretch run. Flames have been blessed with good health, especially to their key players. Knock on wood this continues.

Once this team got going early in the season, they showed one attribute that all good teams have - they don't lose multiple games in a row.

Flames come to play every game. They even didn't come to play for a stretch there, and still managed to pile on the wins.

That's what you want to see from good teams. You also want to see a coach respond the right way - and that means being upset when the Flames play sloppy games even if they win.

Yes, both the quality of competition is going to ramp up a bit in this next stretch, but that may be a good thing too. Flames need to play against better teams to elevate their game for this stretch drive. Having stiffer competition helps to ensure they don't start getting a bit too complacent, and then suddenly find themselves in some desolate valley accumulating losses.

This stretch drive is going to be really fun to watch as a Flames fan this year. They are entering it in a rather healthy state - I imagine most of the nagging injuries that a bunch of players were probably playing through have healed up. Peters seems to have a really good feel for the team and what buttons need to be pressed as well. Ward seems like a really strong tactician as well.

I actually have no feeling of trepidation. Just positive excitement. Sure, there will be losses along the way - Flames aren't going to be perfect until the end of the season. I just want to see a team that takes another small step in play overall, and goes into the playoffs peaking and full of confidence and swagger. Just really excited to see the rest of this season play out.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote