View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #1568
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Starting to plan a build for the new AMD processors.

Trying to decide between a B550 motherboard and an X570. I'd go with X570 almost no question except I found out most of the boards have chipset fans. I usually build as silent as I can, so a bit worried about a whiny little chipset fan.

Though some of them it appears you can set it so the fan is stopped at idle, and if it spins while I'm gaming I don't care as much as I'd have my headphones on anyway.

I'm not going to be extreme overclocking.

From what I can see the only real immediate downside of a B550 would be that the chipset runs on PCIe 3.0 instead of 4.0, which means my 2nd (or more) m.2 slots would run at PCIe 3.0 speeds. But I think I'd be ok with that, my 2nd SSD currently is a SATA drive for storing some less played games.

And the B550's are a bit cheaper.

Any other things I should be aware of?
I went through the same decision process and chose the MSI x570 Tomahawk board. The default chipset fan profile in BIOS didn't have the fan start until something like 65 - 70 degrees, so in normal computing it was never running. Perhaps it did while I was gaming but with a headset on you'd never hear it over the other fans that ramp up with temperature.

Unfortunately that board was a struggle from day one. The onboard wifi/bluetooth often wouldn't be recognized in BIOS (and therefore Windows) and then it stopped recognizing my VGA card. Each time I'd have to clear CMOS and even then no guarantees BIOS would find attached hardware. I don't know if I just had a bad board, or being new-ish to market had buggy BIOS. Exchanged it for a Asus TUF X570-Pro that I'm installing this weekend.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post: