View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #1410
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
I love Dunkey and he reviews No man's sky pretty damn well I think. For anyone interested:

To be fair to NMS this review is from launch. The game has changed a lot since then.
I get that it won't be a game for everyone. Heck, I think I like it more because it's so different to most games. But then I'm weird.
To me, this is a game where you are dropped into a sandbox and then decide what you want to do beyond the initial quests. There is a lot of repetition in the core mechanics, as the variety is determined by your goals.
Are you trying to journey to the centre?
Are you trying to finish the quests?
Are you trying to build an epic base?
Are you trying to get cool stuff and play with friends?

Where most games give you an end goal, usually through story, NMS gives you options, where advancement is based around mining, trading, crafting and exploring. I like the freedom, as I can play just to play, and I use that to relax.

My review on it is that this game could be 10/10 to one person and 1/10 to another. It is polarizing by nature. I see it as a sandbox in which you can make fun. As someone who will go off the track in Red dead and hunt, who prefers exploring the fallout world over completing the main story quests, it works. I have poured in hundreds of hours over 2+ years and will likely do more post update. It's a 9/10 to me.

The developers made claims they couldn't back up at launch, whether that is lying or talking up features that couldn't make it into version 1.0 is a whole other debate. The fact is that the game has been updated post launch and is a more diverse experience now, but it's still not for everyone.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post: