View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #21
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic, and I'll reserve judgment until I can see it in action. Even if it is destined to be a lower tier than the MLS, it will still be the top professional level that the non-MLS cities in Canada can hope for. MLS will never end up in Calgary or any other Canadian city - we need to accept that.

With some solid owners and a favourable TV arrangement, I could see people jumping on board. The worst thing that this league can do, however, is drop a team into McMahon, fill a fraction of it, play on football lines, etc. No matter how hard the supporters might try, it'll be crappy in person, crappy on television, and it will really diminish the legitimacy of the league when it will need all of the help it can get.

Where would they play then? Who knows. But large CFL football stadiums are the graveyards of Canadian professional soccer. It just doesn't work.
This is how I'm approaching things as well. MLS is never coming to Calgary. MLS is never expanding further into Canada. This league is arguably the last shot at professional soccer in this city as the CSA is not approving additional Canadian professional clubs in American leagues.

As for McMahon, unless a Calgary ownership group wants to build a modular soccer specific stadium (which is the way other rumoured cities are going), I think any Calgary club is stuck at McMahon. It sucks, but I don't know of any alternative that doesn't require a new stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The question I have is where does this league take us? What do the champions get? Other than just being champions. Is there a additional carrot?

Perhaps the champions from this league should get a 2nd Canadian spot in the concacaf champions league (in the prelims) and improve Canada's coefficient.

Or Could Canada have it's own Cup competition.

I'd like to see a Calgary team play Toronto FC one day, or even Pachuca! There has to be a path beyond this league to make is viable. Or else what am I (and tv contracts and advertisers) paying for since there is no promotion/relegation.

In hockey the dream of winning the league/Stanley Cup is the pinnacle. In soccer it has to be much much more.
Canada has had it's own cup competition since 2008. The Voyageurs Cup (aka Canadian Championship) is how Canadian teams qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League. Canadian clubs can't actually qualify for the tournament by winning MLS club.

CPL clubs would be added to this tournament. My ideal tournament for now is the 3 MLS clubs, FC Edmonton, Ottawa Fury, 8 CPL clubs, the winners of League1 Ontario and PLSQ, and the winner of the Canadian Challenge Cup. 16 team knockout format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Sure, but their U23 Academy's would probably benefit from joining something like the CPL. If the level of play quality can be brought up to or surpass that of PDL, then you have a fighting chance. Whitecaps U23 and Impact Academy are in PDL, and Toronto FC Academy plays in League1 Ontario. Clubs can switch leagues to play in, and often do for various reasons. There is nothing to suggest that Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto couldn't submit teams to the CPL, which would immediately raise the bar for non-MLS Canadian cities to develop equal or better skilled talent.

With more fervent supporters, the CPL should server as a feeder league to MLS and Europe. And that's exactly what we want, and I doubt any CPL fan would expect any different.
My only argument is that the second you allow MLS reserve clubs into the CPL, it's seen as minor league and loses some of it's appeal. I think working with MLS clubs and having MLS clubs loan players to CPL is likely, and mutually beneficial for both leagues.

I think even the biggest proponents will acknowledge that this league will ideally be a feeder league to MLS and CPL, and / or Europe. And the whole point of the league is to develop more Canadian talent, who can then move on to bigger leagues.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote