View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #2053
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

about the lights... it's not that easy or cut and dried. I ride year round, on roads and paths. Been doing this for over 15 years. Yep, I'm "that nutcase". Yes there is a real difference to your lighting requirements and yes it is situational and you have to adapt. More lights when on the road for sure, as compared to path. WHITE in FRONT, RED in BACK, just like a vehicle and as per the MVA/TSA.

about 99% of my near-miss head-ons have been with "ninja riders" who either have no lights, stupid useless pathetic 1W lights, pointed down lights, or oddly enough steady lights (and not blinky). Problem with the steady beam is often it's a small light source and gets lost amoungst the traffic... a bright blinky gets noticed. (side note: Yes I also personally hate getting blinded by any light aimed too high, or the nuclear-flash mode).

So when people say "point your light down"... there's ZERO point in having that light puddle barely in front of your front wheel. Have it ~20-30 meters ahead on the ground'ish. Isn't perfect but you may have a fighting chance of been seen. Ideally have 2 front lights... inevitably one dies, or starts strong and the battery is useless after 5mins.

Now if you're night-riding off on mountain bike trails it's a different setup... and a lot more fun.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote