View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 05:51 PM   #38
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I'm sure somebody who has knowledge will be able to explain why my idea is terrible, but I think we find a region that is down on their luck.

Go and revitalize region with the biggest mental health campus in Canada.

There are two parts to this campus:

Side 1 has free drugs, free alcohol, free places to sleep, and police to keep some sort of order. With free drugs there is really no need for violence, robbery, prostitution, etc. People can just get as high as they want and not have to worry about the negative impacts on others of their actions.

Side 2 has an abundance of health care workers that specialize in safe living, sobriety, etc. The goal is that people can make the decision to get clean and have a small city that is entirely committed to getting them clean.

It seems mostly benefits for all:
1. Region gets a huge economic boom with construction and jobs.

2. Addicts get safe consumption, reduction to personal harm, and a way to get clean. Furthermore fewer addicts once they return to society.

3. Cities and towns across canada get rid of the negative behaviour associated with drug taking. Less crime, less violence.

4. Social workers get good jobs in low-cost places. It's hard to live in Vancouver, toronto, Calgary at $45k per year, but I'm sure there are some beautiful towns that $45k would get a nice home. Heck 2 hrs south of CAlgary $45k goes a long way.

5. Govt gets a program that offers economies of scale and I'd guess more likely for addicts to succeed in getting off of drugs. Furthermore reduces crime nationwide and liklihood for people not using drugs to take them up.

anyways, I know nothing of this problem, but it just seems a way out of this mess. What we are doing in Canada (and what i've seen in other countries) doesn't seem to be working and the problem is only getting worse as other countries flood us with low cost opiods.
Two issues I can think of:

- The cost of providing an all-you-can-hit drug buffet. Some of those compounds are scarce, and then the government becomes liable for the consequences too.

- Removing people from the positive social supports in their lives could make treatment more difficult.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote