View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 05:32 PM   #34
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Yes, drug addicts can be an annoyance. But you can be annoyed and have empathy at the same time.

You have to remember, that 'crackhead' didn't invent crack, most likely comes from a family situation where they were born to lose, and are more of a victim of the drug, than the random passerby's that have to deal with the panhandling and mental illness.

They've broken into cars on our lot, stolen stuff, bathed in our washrooms, and I am usually the one tasked with evicting them. They know they have a problem, they know the world hates them, and I can frikking guarantee you, if they could reverse time, each and every one of them, would have avoided that first hit that got them hooked. I remove them with as much empathy and as much dignity as I can.

I am not particularly PC on most issues. But on this one perhaps my outlook is slightly skewed as I have had friends and family get caught in the grasp of addiction and have lost a few people close to me where it spiralled too far out of control. The only advice I can give, is that in almost every scenario, if you ask them to move along, they will. They usually mean nobody harm, they are just looking for a way to get 10 bucks for that next hit.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: