View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 05:09 PM   #27
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey, sorry, but do you have any actual ideas?
Sorry, I was just playing off of how historically some of your diatribe plays out in other scenarios (ie. dogs, wildlife, etc.).

I do not believe its a coincidence that we are experiencing an acceleration of problems coming out of this pandemic. Thats likely for two reasons:

1) Mental health issued accelerated for some folks as a result of isolation and drastic changes to how we effectively functioned as a society for the past 80 years to fully locking down. Some people really suffered and a symptom of that viscous cycle can be drug use.

Solution - throw more money at mental health support, early diagnosis, treatment, and work on reducing stigma associated with getting help. Tailor more public health to cater to the mental side. Many people cannot afford shrinks, etc. - make it more achievable.

2) Poverty. Some people were barely getting by and the pandemic pushed forward and pressured a lot of people. With the CERB, etc. falling off a lot of people got left behind. There was a growing issue with disparity before the pandemic, inflation, interest rates, etc. This is now full blown. More homelessness, less jobs, more reliance on drugs.

Solution - This is a can of worms as many discussions on politics, UCB, etc. But there needs to be a real push to deal with income disparity in this country.

You may be complaining Calgary and how bad it has gotten but my wife and her family are from Vancouver and it is a completely different world downtown these days. Even the nice parts have gotten pretty unsafe and unwalkable past dark. They have a serious crisis on their hands that is trickling out of the typical areas of Gas Town, Rail Town and Hastings.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote