View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #41
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache ride View Post
I don't get this. He is being forced out of his job, why does he owe it to Fallon or anyone else to leave the spotlight. He is still being a good soldier, bringing along Fallon, as he did Conan before him. But once the checks stop why should he have to give up something he obviously enjoys. If he can get a show on CNN then all the power to him.
A few things:

- Jay being forced out or whatever is irrelevant IMO. Carson probably didn't want out either. But there's a new generation of TV viewers that NBC isn't capturing. They had hoped Conan would do it, and maybe he would have if he had the chance, but a month into his gig, both Leno and NBC swoop into the time slot before because the Tonight Show ratings dropped. The initial ratings drop was expected, but the Leno show made things even worse. Hopefully NBC learns from their mistake with Conan and give Fallon a chance, because I bet Jimmy will see a similar drop in ratings initially.

- As for why Jay shouldn't go after another gig, in technical terms yes, you're right. He has every right to go for another job, but NBC has given him a solid gig for 25 years. In most people's eyes that would be worth something. If Leno goes for a show on a different network, good for him. But it doesn't sit well in my books. He really does owe NBC a lot, and should give Fallon and NBC a chance, rather than trying to take back his slot on another network. I think NBC will have learned from their mistakes after the Conan disaster. We'll see if Leno learned anything as well, or go the selfish route.