View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #101
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ Eagle Ridge? That's a nice neighborhood.

I live in Glendale. Nobody ever seems to know where it is so i say "next to killarney" which seems to have more recognition as a community. Anyways, Glendale has all the benefits of Killarney but with R1 zoning.

Pros:
- proximity to c-train (Westbrook and 45th street stations)
- proximity to 17th Ave and bow trail - quick commute into downtown and really close to the entertainment and restaurants on 17th
- decent commute and literally 10 minutes to downtown in low traffic times
- easy access out of the City to the mountains
- close to really good recreation: MRU, Westside Rec, and Killarney Pool, Edworthy Park
- 2 Safeways and a Walmart within walking distance
- schools galore. Regular public and Catholic. Montessori. Christian charter school. French and Spanish. All in our catchment area.
- tennis courts and good playgrounds (no lake, dammit)
- neighborhood is turning over to younger professionals/families
- 1950's houses that were built pretty solid, good mix of nicely upgraded older houses with some people tearing down compelyely and giant new houses (thats kind of a con i guess)
- 1950's trees!!
- can get onto dedicated bike lanes/paths into downtown with only 3-4 blocks of riding on the road
- I think the home values are amazing for what you get in terms of location and proximity to downtown.

Cons:
- the 1950s houses might be too small or too outdated for some people (ie we don't have an ensuite bathroom or a garage. Closet space is fairly minimal)
- proximity to LRT/downtown (mostly the LRT I think) means we do have bottle collectors going through our alleys and our vehicle has been broken into twice in 3 years (Although a garage might help reduce that issue as well)
- there is some sketchy activity still around Westbrook Mall/Rosscarrock. It doesn't seem to overflow into Glendale much, if ever. But not exagerating when I say there's 4 PaydayLoan places within walking distance of our house. Which is a bit weird.
- I wish we had better proximity to the river

Last edited by Peanut; 11-20-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post: