View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #83
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I think that EV's will be a bigger part of the future, not as quick as some people think.
The first Model T rolled of the line 112 years ago it's a bit crazy to expect the BEV to replace an infrastructure and way of life in general straight away right?
Quote:
The adoption has been generally slower for a lot of "green" cars and trucks than people want to admit.
The adoption has been much faster than most predicted I've followed Tesla since the beginning (since I own stock) and the amount of negativity, doom and gloom and predictions of failure have been rampant. They've pretty much all been wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Possibly. I was thinking more along the lines of something like a 1.5L (or smaller) engine in a larger vehicle and the space savings plus a little bit of cargo space used for the remainder battery motor. But the real problem is cost, even if it has a tiny gas engine that still means it has to have a fuel, exhaust and emissions system. That's all very expensive chopping off a couple of cylinders doesn't help much.

I mean, even 1.5L is a bit overkill IMO as I am not intending for the engine to be performance at all. That sized engine is placed in mid sized SUVs as the economical regular driving option and I agree it's bulky. My suggestion for the engine was more along the lines of being able to allow the vehicle to use gas to hobble to a charging station + be a gas generator for electricity in the event the battery reserves are too low. I am literally imagining something like a motorcycle engine would more than suffice and the gasoline tank be something like 5-10L only.
In general the public won't accept a vehicle with variable performance, fast on battery power very slow when the gas engine is powering the car.

BUT, here's and intriguing option check it out. Doesn't have long range on battery power but doesn't compromise performance either.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...er-rav4-prime/

Unfortunately this will be a limited production model, all RAV4's should be the above spec.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post: