View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
1) Koh Phangan was my favorite place in Thailand due to the size, the beaches, and the ease of getting around (rent a scooter - but DON'T drive it to the full moon party!), but it's pretty quiet as people leave when the party is done. I spent 5 days there and would've loved to be there longer.

2) Thailand is VERY safe, unless you're strolling around a "non-touristy" place at night. Even then..

3) $35 / night will get you a real nice room most places. Just book ahead for the full moon party. If you aren't picky plan on more like $10-$15 a night for a decent, non-hostel place to stay.

4) Depends what you're there for. Partying? Nature? Beaches? Quiet vacation? Seeing the culture/history?

5) Thailand is one of the easiest places to travel. Essentially you go to the front desk of the place you're staying and tell them you want to be "here" on so and so night, and they'll set it up for you. We flew from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then bus'd to the ferry that goes to Koh Phangan. You can also take the train from Bangkok, but I've heard it's not great. Bussing + ferries the rest of the time.

6) Depends what you like. Lots of temples in Bangkok, the floating market, Khao San road. We found the shopping meh, though if you're looking for something specific then you may be able to find a good deal (ie a suit). We went to one of the massive malls hoping for cheap knock offs but it ended up being comparable prices to here.

You will meet TONS of people. Especially at the full moon party.
Thanks! Follow up questions:

1) Did you stay in Koh Phangan before of after the full-moon party?

2) Interesting. At any point did you get pickpocketed or anything? Just curious (not trying to be ignorant).

3) Where did you stay in Koh Phangan or any other places (if you remember the names)?

4) Partying would be real nice, but some really nice beaches and general interesting things is always nice.

5) When you flew from BKK, how much did it cost? Did you pack light or bring a suitcase?

6) Just general things to see and do. The nightmarket I heard is pretty neat as well.

Where else did you end up going? Phuket? Koh Phi Phi?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote