View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I hiked the WCT a few years back and really enjoyed it, I'm interested in hearing of some comparable adventures to this hike in Canada or the US. The obvious one is the Chilkoot but I would love to hear of other ones.

I am also interested non-hiking trips, I paddled the Bowron lakes and enjoyed that as well.
It depends what you mean by comparable but in terms of backpacking the best book for the mountain parks is how not to waste your time in the Canadian Rockies. There Premier backpack trips are all awsome. My problem with the WCT was how gross the camp sites are. They are just slathered with people that dont seem to practice Leave No Trace ethics. I go on hikes to get into the wilderness so the WCT wasnt as enjoyable to me. Its why I want to do the north coast trail.

As for specific hikes

-Berg Lake in Mt Robson Provincial Park. Hike 20k in through rain forest and waterfall, see glacier carve off chunks into icebergs, see mount robson from the base, one of the most imposing canadian rookies. Make sure you go from the second week of July so you can take the snowbird pass dayhike. If you want solitude you can camp at the north end of berg lake in rear guard camp grounds. This one is also great for kids as you can camp every 5k on the hike in if you wanted.

-highway 93 through egypt lake, through mount assinaboine, to spray lakes road. This is about an 80-90k hikes plus side trips that you are above the treeline for all but the first and last 10k. This is a busier hike and you want to avoid long weekends in the mount assinaboine area.

- start going to fish lakes, then pipestone pass using the bootbeaten highline, instead of just returning the same way you do a class2/3 scramble over quartzite col and the hike down the dry stream bed to complete the loop.

- an epic trip I want to do is the John Muir Trail in the Sierras. It is a 200 mile two - three week hike ending in summiting mount whitney.

Lots of stuff out there depending what you are looking for Bowron lakes is definately on my list.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: