View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck, Jagr and Calgaryboy

Many of us that know Calgaryboy (the Flames biggest fan in CZ) knew that this year would be perfect for him to visit. Jagr, a god to the Czechs, was playing for Calgary, and it would be his last season! Perfect.

Sadly Calgaryboy made it clear there was no extra money in the budget; a trip to Calgary this season was at 0% chance.

Starting with Cali Panthers fan, who said if there was a go fund me, he would kick in $100 to get Petr here. Well, the thought of a Go fund me horrified Petr (calgaryboy) he felt, and I agreed, that that sort of thing was for emergencies.

After his post saying "thanks but no thanks" to that sort of help; I started getting PM's. If you do not know I hosted Petr on his first visit to Calgary years ago. There is a large thread on that topic somewhere.

Locke and Killer_Carlsson PM'd saying we should make this trip happen.

I am not a rich fellow, at all; if I was I would have just paid for Petr to come over. I would do anything for my friends. What I did instead was reach out to 20 or so friends on CP. I know them from CP slopitch, CP live drafts, Buy and sell, etc. I asked if they would be interested in helping out in bringing Petr over to see Jagr in his swan song season as a Calgary Flame.

The result was awesome. Within 12 hours, I had a ticket to every game for Petr (I had previously asked Petr what home stand this season would be his favourite to see) and about half a plane ticket. Locke made some calls to some contacts on CP also and after 24 hours we almost had the plane ticket.

I will pick Petr up at the airport, house him, feed him, and take him around where ever he needs to go.

Telling Petr was a joy. However Petr and his wife were very against this whole plan. They did not feel it was right to have other people pay for his trip. He was uncomfortable. His wife was adamant that this was wrong. It took several conversations with Furnaceface and myself to convince him. Basically I told him It's done, we are doing this, get on board.

People did not put up money they did not want to. It was a large group effort. It was fun to do, and always nice to help out a friend.

Locke is handling all the financial details, apparently he is CP's #1 accountant in a poll taken at his house. Also as he will tell you often and happily...Aeneas is just not that smart.

Locke returns from holidays today, if there is someone out there that feels they really need to contribute you can PM him. I think we have managed to cover the trip already, or very close to it.

I had to turn away offers of tickets, the demand to help was so great. To be clear I also turned down ticket offers for myself; all I want out of this to to make a good friend happy. I will drive him and others to the games, I feel no need to attend.

Petr will arrive Friday March 9th (assuming we get the ticket we want) and depart March 22. He will see 4 home games and there will also be 2 away games that we will endeavour to fill a pub for!

On March 10th (Saturday) I will host a gathering at my home (already way too many CPers know where I live, alas) where we will feast on Central European cuisine. I will make food from Moravia(CZech), Slovakia, Hungary, and Germany. I am sure I will have a costly visit to Hack n Lube's Beer vault! Love that place. A fridge full of Golden Pheasant beer!

We will invite all the people that helped out, plus anyone that met Petr in the past, or wants to meet him now.

The away games on 18,19 March we will choose locations later. Suggestions welcome.

For the March 21st game we will do something special. Rhettzky has generously given us 4 tickets for that game. One for Calgaryboy and 3 for anyone on CP who wants to bid for them. Locke's idea (or Rhettzky's It's been a bit of a blur) is we could use that money for the plane ticket, or if it's already covered then for the food and beer for the welcome party.

More details to follow of course. If you have financial questions PM Locke.

I would like to thank all the people who have helped out. It really is quite a great community. I will publicly thank everyone, but I want to check and make sure they want me too.

Petr has been dying to express his astonished thanks, and he may now be asleep as he was up at 0130 for the Nashville game, and will wake up for the game tonight also.

I want to make it doubly clear. Calgaryboy was shocked at this offer. Stunned. And very against the idea. But we insisted. It took some time for him to accept, he was, and still is, uncomfortable.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 275 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
#22, 300 MPH Blues, 3thirty, 420since1974, 442scotty, 4X4, AC, afc wimbledon, alexle, Allos, allthingsflames, Anduril, apiquard, ASP#26525, atb, Azure, Backlunds_socks, bc-chris, Bear, BeltlineFan, ben voyonsdonc, Benched, Beninho, Ben_in_Canada, BigDogg, BigNumbers, bigtmac19, BloodFetish, bluck, Boblobla, brocoli, Brodieyouevenlift, Browndog71, brzeisk13, Burner, Burninator, burn_this_city, Cactus Jack, Calgary Highlander, Calgary4LIfe, calgaryblood, calgarybornnraised, calgaryboy, CalgaryFan1988, calgaryred, calgarywinning, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, Canehdianman, Captaincanada80, carom, cavalera403, cDnStealth, CedarMeter, Cheese, Chingas, chummer, Coach, CofR, ColoradoFlamesFan, corporatejay, crapshoot, CrazyCaper, csnarpy, Cycling76er, Dajazz, dammage79, DazzlinDino, DeluxeMoustache, Demaeon, DEvans, devel, devo22, Dion, dissentowner, dolf, Domoic, DoubleF, drewtastic, droopydrew19, DT77, DuckmanX, dutch14, Eric, Erick Estrada, erikk3, etc, EVERLAST, FBI, FFFLife, Flacker, Flambé, flambers, flamesfan1297, flamesfever, flamesgod, FlamesNation23, flamesrule14, flamesrule_kipper34, Flames_F.T.W, Flamezzz, FlatLandFlamesFan, foofighter15, ForeverFlameFan, Fredrik, Frequitude, Funkhouser, FurnaceFace, FusionX, Galakanokis, Gallick, Gaskal, Gaudfather, Geordano, GioforPM, gonzo29, GranteedEV, GreenHardHat, GullFoss, habernac, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hilbilly, Hockey-and_stuff, Hockeyguy15, HockeyKhan, Homeslice, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, iggy_oi, IgiTang, IgnitedSoul, IliketoPuck, Incogneto, indes, Inferno099, Infinit47, Insufficient Funds, Itse, Jacks, jammies, Jawbone Hill, jayswin, Jbo, jeffporfirio, Jetfire, jg13, Jimmy Stang, jkflames, Joborule, jtfrogger, justing, kbvall, keenan87, kermitology, KipperRules, KiwiFlame, Kolbe31, KootenayFlamesFan, krazycanuck, Kybb79, Lanny'sDaMan, Large11, lazypucker, Le Golie, Lil Pedro, Locke, looooob, Loudog, M*A*S*H 4077, mac_82, magicbell, malcolmk14, matt608, Mazrim, mdubz, metal_geek, metroneck, Mightyfire89, mikephoen, Minnie, MissTeeks, MolsonInBothHands, Money23, MoneyGuy, Mony, Morning Wood, Murph, Muta, N-E-B, nemanja2306, nfotiu, no_joke, nwflamesfan, OBCT, oilyfan, OldDutch, OldSam, Otto-matic, PaperBagger'14, Party Elephant, Peanut, Pellanor, PostandIn, prarieboy, Prufrock, psyang, PsYcNeT, PugnaciousIntern, Puppet Guy, RandyHolt, rayne008, redflamesfan08, RedHotC, Redliner, Rickbo, ricosuave, RoadGame, robaur, Robbob, Robo, rotten42, Rubber Ducky, Rubicant, Rulakir, Ruttiger, Ryan Coke, Sainters7, Saqe, Sask_Flames_Fan, savardandjokinen, Savvy27, Scoopdogg, SeanCharles, sicsun, SirPsychoSexy, SixtySix, Slacker, slybomb, SoCalFlamesFan, SoulOfTheFlame, speede5, squiggs96, St. Pats, StanleyCupIn2020, Stay Golden, stazzy33, STeeLy, Stochansky, StrykerSteve, surferguy, Suzles, Swayze11, Table 5, taxbuster, Teh_Bandwagoner, tete, Textcritic, The Yen Man, the2bears, TheFlamesVan, TheScorpion, TopChed, Trailer Fire, trumpethead, tvp2003, Tyler, UKflames, united, VictoryJuice, woob, wwkayaker, Wyguy, Yamer, zukes, Zulu29