View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Buying, a question about "class-warfare"

I apologize if this is alot of reading... So I am getting married this summer and we have decided to purchase a home before then so we both just sold our condos.

In our price range (500K high end) in our desired radius to downtown of about 10km that gives us a map of 85 Street in the West, Glenmore to the South, Shaganappi to the NW, and 64th Ave in the NE (we are staying on the West side of Deerfoot).

In those areas in that price range that gives us the following home options.

1 - 1950-60s era unfinished likely with issues in the 350-400 range
2 - 1950-60s era finished in the 490+ range
3 - 1970s-early 80s era home with attached garage, in that style in the 490-500s
4 - Duplexes of varying price depending on finishing and location.

I have come to grips with purchasing a duplex. I know its not the greatest thing in the world to share a wall, but its only the one wall and sometimes just have to wish you arent going to own next to some sort of d!ckbag. Together We are qualified for a 780K mortgage but there is no way in he77 I am going to be stretched that thin. I would rather have more money for our future children then to "waste" it on a house especially in these economic times.

We have seen 1 duplex I quite like, 2001 (so before boom), its in an excellent area (I think anyways), its currently listed at 475 (likely get it for 450 I am guessing) which is obviously expensive but its finished with everything we would want. I like the fact its a smaller home - who needs a bigger one?

My Finance doesnt like that is a duplex and that more so its in an area where we would likely be close to lowest income earners in the area. I personally see that as a positive vis a vi less crime, hopefully better neighbours, etc. She is worried our kids would develop some sort of envy (class warfare) towards their inevitable friends - I think that is easily dealt with by parenting.

Has anyone else come across this or ever thought of income level as a reason not purchase in a certain area? I am having a hard time trying to reason with her as to why I dont think we should dismiss an area just because we would likely have one of the lowest priced homes in the neighbourhood. I understand her concerns but I am having difficulty coming up with other reasons no