View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 04:20 AM   #47
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I know this might be a strange take, stay with me here...I really like BOTH Vancouver AND Calgary. I know. Reading this thread you would think the options were mutually exclusive!

Vancouver has its problems, the DTES is obviously a massive massive issue, the opioid epidemic is a scourge on the city and is still not being taken seriously. The cost of living is outrageous. Many Vancouverites are holier than thou insular #######s that take themselves too seriously. What's worse are the anti-development NIMBYs that bought their home for 80K and its now worth 3.2 million but don't want a 10 story high-rise with affordable housing five blocks away. However, it's not like Alberta isn't full of people with an obvious chip on their shoulder that will look for any excuse to bash another province to make themselves feel better about their decisions *cough* this thread *cough*. Whether it's transfer payments, pipelines, Trudeau or BC the list of Alberta grievances is rich and storied and an Albertan will never tire of bringing them up whenever possible.

However, my life in Van is great. I have a wonderful group of friends, a great job, a lovely wife I met here, and I live in a great neighborhood. My wife walks to work, my commute is about 10 minutes. We often head to the Gulf Islands in the summer, Tofino is a quick flight from the south Terminal, cycling to UBC in the Summer going through Kits and Spanish Banks is something very special, the golf season is a touch longer here, great coffee, great restaurants. The grey rainy winters can be dreary, I do love the snow and bright blue skies of Calgary winters.

Speaking of Calgary, it is also a city I love dearly. I love the big sky, I love the Bow River, I love the Rockies in the distance. The people are top notch, it's a very friendly city, with great neighborhoods. Obviously the best hockey fans in the world. Also you can buy a nice house there and don't have to sell your kidneys online to make a downpayment. I was also in Calgary over Christmas when it was -38 and that was a nice reminder of how insanely bad winters can be there.

I like both Calgary and Vancouver and BC and Alberta!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post: