View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I've been thinking for a while now that I may cut the cord and get rid of the cable bill. I have a few questions though that I was hoping people might be able to help me with...

1) I heard a while ago about stations switching over to digital and that you can no longer pick the signal up with rabbit ears. Did this ever happen? Is there a certain box I need to make it work or do the newer OTA antennas pick them up fine? From what I figure I could get 3 stations in my area (CBC, CTV and Global) which is good enough for me.

2) I signed up for the free month of Netflix to try it out but haven't used it yet because I don't feel like sitting at the computer. How do I get it to broadcast on my non-smart TV? I don't have a laptop to connect to the TV (that would be the easiest way) but the house has wifi.
1) You need rabbit ears that are UHF capable. It's basically like regular rabbit ears except there's a connected ring to the base. Depending on whether your TV has been manufactured in the last 5 years, it may or may not have the digital conversion built in. I don't quite remember what the manufacturer term for that feature is. If it turns out that you don't, you will need to get a converter box from a place like London Drugs or the The Source.
If you haven't already, tvfool.com would tell you where the signal is coming from and what channels you should get.

2) Keep in mind the moment you are billed for Netflix your month starts, regardless if whether you use it or not. If you have a non-smart TV, don't have a laptop or a setup box like Boxee, Apple TV, or WD Live, you don't have any way of getting it to your TV.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote