View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #95
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for doing these Bingo. I know it must be a lot of work, but I find them extremely informative, especially when comparing the results month-to-month.

For instance, we have seen the top line (and Tkachuk) dry up offensively lately, but the depth scoring has really improved and continued to be the difference makers every night. I guess it isn't a surprise to see analytically that shooting percentage is down, and PDO is up. That is probably a reasonable expectation.

It is worth spending 5 minutes on these tables and thinking about what you have seen on the ice. Peters' system (and the talent on the team overall) really align nicely with the metrics. Hartley's and Gulutzan's systems didn't always align very nicely, which is why Hartley's system was 'unsustainable' while Gulutzan's was "about to turn a corner". I think the analytics community is probably still missing a few key stats somewhere that either haven't been developed, or haven't been widely accepted yet.

With the new tracking tools that the NHL is going to implement, I am sure that new metrics will be added. I really look forward to it.

These are highly appreciated Bingo! Thanks again for doing them.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote