View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #1266
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If you are considering getting one and can charge at work, I would not spend the money on a level 2 charger at home. I have an EV and can charge at work (there are 4 free level two chargers in the parking garage). But if you get one I would delay the level two charger until you get a sense of how often you can charge for free at work. I have not had to charge at home this entire calendar year.
I've mentioned this before but I wonder how long employers will be receptive to the additional costs of providing electricity for their employees, in particular as the number of EV's rises. Second, would this not be considered a taxable benefit? If my employer pays for my fuel (or I receive a vehicle allowance to compensate) then I am taxed IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I am putting in some AC so had the electrician over and I was asking about level 2 in the garage, and he said my problem might be I might need a new line from the transformer. It's possible, they have to bore a line underneath all the driveways but it's not cheap.

One thing I didn't ask was was there enough capacity at the transformer for everyone? I.e. what if everyone in the neighbourhood wanted to have 2 level 2 chargers in their house? Is it a case where getting it done sooner might have some advantage if someone in a few years won't even be able to do it because of a limit of capacity at the transformer?
Guy on my beer league team had some house reno's done and had Enmax over to connect/disconnect the main feed. He asked the guys this question and they told him they had regular callouts where the street had been overloaded by additional connections like this. His ballpark estimation was that a typical street could handle 2-3 homes before major upgrades would be required.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: