View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Remembering the Cannons

In a fit of uber-geekiness, I'm trying to write a history of the Calgary Cannons on Wikipedia. One of the things I really need are images. So, I wrote to the Albuquerque Isotopes, figuring they'd have some photos on file that they will never have a commercial use for, to see if they'd release some. The General Manager of all people wrote me back. John Traub, who joined the Cannons around 1990, and was the GM when the team moved south sent me these awesome pictures, released under a CC-BY-SA licence. I thought I'd share these four pictures of three of the Cannons more memorable players.

Alex Rodriguez (1994):

Jim Abbot (1998):

Bret Boone (1992):

I've been researching old articles, and it really is a shame that we never were able to get a better facility than Foothills. Russ Parker was fighting with the city pretty much from day one to get the park upgraded. Nearly relocated the team in 93 over a battle with the city, and openly stated the need for a new facility by 98. The city did come through at the start, and did finally help in 93, but it never was enough. Though in 1988, funnily enough, the Edmonton Trappers were absolutely jealous of Foothills Stadium - John Ducey Park was a dump.

The Cannons made the playoffs four times between 1985 and 1991, Two trips to the PCL finals. In 1991, they were actually up two games to none on Tucson, but lost the last three on the road. The F'ing Mariners (struggling to maintain a .500 record) recalled our game 5 starter on the morning of the game, forcing the Guns to use a pitcher on two days rest. The relationship was never the same, and three years later, the Cannons and Mariners parted ways.

I'll never forget 1998 either. Great run at the end, though they once again couldn't get the job done.

Rather painful to watch the Vipers struggle to attract fans, knowing what we (Vancouver and Edmonton) lost.

The article, which needs a ton of work, as I'm still in research mode:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Cannons
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote