View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I never really thought about my accent until I moved to America.
Now people comment on my Canadian accent on an almost daily basis. It's not just the accent, I think Canadians often use different words altogether.
How do you pronounce these words? Please excuse my bad phonetics. I grew up in Calgary and I use all of the alternatives listed on the right (zed, bayg, marks, soary, drawma, supper, pop, chocolate bar).

-For the letter "Z", do you say "Zee" or "Zed?"
-For the word "bag", do you say "Bahg" or "Bayg"? (This is by far the biggest one, as it affects the pronunciation of words like dragon, wagon, flag, leg, etc)
-For school, do you say "grades" or "marks"?
-For "sorry", do you say "sawry" or "soary"?
-For "drama", do you say "drahma" or "drawma"?
-Do you say "dinner" or "supper"?
-Do you say "coke", "soda", or "pop"?
-Do you say "candy bar" or "chocolate bar"?

And I refuse to believe that Canadians say "about" different. Many of the Torontonians I've met seem to take the American version of the words listed above. But it seems like Calgarians are a lot more likely to use the Canadian alternatives.
Zee, bayg, marks, soary, drawma, supper, pop, chocolate bar.
I'm sure I sound very Canadian. I would love to hear what I sound like from an outside point of view.
My sister married someone from Texas and lives in Houston; every time I go down to visit, literally everyone I interact with can tell I'm Canadian almost immediately.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote