View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah this is exactly what my (now recently former) teacher buddy and his wife were saying when I saw them over Christmas. Sounds like teacher shortages are an issue coast to coast, very concerning. I'd imagine teachers having to give up prep time covering for a class with no sub is also contributing to teacher burnout. It's just making it worse.

They've both since left the profession, my buddy has an office job now (loosely related to his degree) and seems so much happier, said he has no work stress anymore. He was such a grump when he was still teaching.

I think when people hear about teacher strikes, they just assume it's about money and roll their eyes. From what I can see, they get paid fairly well, I doubt that's the issue. Sounds more like large class sizes / extra admin work through new policies contributing to burnout (yes yes, outside of July/Aug of course). Said they had around 40 students / class by the end (high school). I don't think people realize how bad it's gotten.
There are massive shortages in many public industries. We don't have enough GPs, nurses, teachers, judges, paramedics, etc... and things aren't much better in the private sector.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: