Thread: Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #38
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Yeah but it's not that hard to just get a VPN and do whatever you want.

It's stupid they do it but in the end it is what it is.

I think YenMan has the most realistic view.

The extradition legislation was worth protesting. They got it suspended which is a victory.

Now they are just protesting for the sake of protesting. They don't have a real cause other than "democracy"

The majority of HKers are actually against the protests and I'd say they have zero support here in mainland China.
Well, the vast majority of Chinese, even in first tier cities, don't get VPNs. Also, what you can share and discuss in social media groups on Chinese platforms is not free even with a VPN, so the controls are powerful and real.

As for HK, these are the stated demands of the protestors:

Quote:
  • The complete withdrawal of the proposed extradition bill
  • The government to withdraw the use of the word “riot” in relation to protests
  • The unconditional release of arrested protesters and charges against them dropped
  • An independent inquiry into police behaviour
  • Implementation of genuine universal suffrage
Some of these are obviously well out of reach, but something like an independent inquiry into police behaviour is not unreasonable. That is a point on which the government should have scope to bend in HK.

Also, while I agree that there's almost no support for the protests in the mainland, I'm not sure the majority of HKers are opposed. I think many, many HKers support the intent of the protests even if they disagree with the violence and disagree with some of the demonstrations.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: