View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #921
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I spend a lot on whisky, mostly scotch - but probably a lot less than the O&G bros. I actually did inventory this past weekend, and have 72 bottles, about 30 unopened, some - like a Yamazaki 18 I bought years ago, before the price got crazy - I'm just saving. For someone who only burns though a glass or two on the weekend, I need to stop collecting LOL.

You get to know people, and they give you the inside track on the good stuff.

I've had the 23 probably a dozen times over the years - work parties, etc. Know a small, amazing place in London that charges their normal mark up for the 10, 15 & 23 - the latter only costing 17 pounds for a dram. Hope they survive the lockdown.

Pappy is overhyped, but it's a very unique experience, that I'd hope people would try if they weren't paying out the nose for it. I'd choose Eagle Rare 17, William Larue or Elijah Craig 23 if I had to choose a bourbon over any Pappy. Depending on the batch, you could convince me an E.H Taylor is better.

And hell, over all of those I'd pick the Redbreast 21. Completely different, but the quality and taste are undeniable in my opinion.

Another winner that's a tad more expensive is the Longrow 21. Those are my 1-2 whiskies of the past 5 years - and bottles I only would only share with a great friend or a spouse if I were to settle down. (Maybe a really good lay? I'd be tempted...)

Edit: I was at a bar during SXSW 2018 - and got to try Redbreast 21 and Pappy 23 head-to-head because I made a comment to the group I was with that Redbreast was better. The vendor that took us to the bar bought the bottles of each for the table and we had a taste off. I stuck with my original claim.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 05-03-2021 at 03:48 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post: