View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
I know I'm likely in the minority on this one, but I like the "Forever A Flame" concept, I just think the Flames should've done the same thing as the Stamps ("Wall of Fame").

I think jersey retirements should be a very rare thing. I understand completely why #2 and #25 aren't retired, despite also recognizing the contributions of both MacInnis and Nieuwendyk. I also understand why #30 IS retired (hometown boy being a large part of it) and I think #9 and #12 are no-brainers.

The main number that is missing for me is #14, however, I am also aware of potential reasons why this has yet to occur. (Still--it says something that nobody has even dreamed of touching that number since.) #34 is also in this category for me, but if Kipper doesn't want it, then maybe it'll be a "nobody-since" situation, like Theo...

I know the "Forever a Flame" concept seems lame, but when you retire so many jerseys, you end up with the high football numbers like in Montreal. And Calgary has had neither the storied history of the Habs, nor the amount of legendary talent come through the team to justify so many retired jerseys, IMO.

If anything, I'd like to see the "FAF" expanded to celebrate more historically meaningful and/or impactful Flames, so as to celebrate the franchise in a similar way to the Stamps, as mentioned. Perhaps that's a more interesting discussion anyway: if the Flames were to expand the "FAF", (or to create a "Ring of Honour"/"Wall of Fame") who else would you like to see added?

Hakan Loob and Joel Otto would be on my list for sure, to start with anyway...

Despite my bitching and moaning, I like the FaF program too. It's a great way to honor guys without a cringey retirement ceremony for a guy who clearly should not have his jersey retired.

The problem with the program is they ####ed it up right from the start by not retiring #2 and adding him to FaF. Chopper is a top-5 dman of all time. IN THE NHL, and still leads the franchise in assists as a DMAN.

IMO, retirements should be:
#2 - for reasons stated above
#12 - best player to ever play for the club, and a dominant force in the NHL for many years. Reshaped the power forward conversation. 625 career goals.
#9 - a bit short on merits, but you can't argue what Lanny symbolizes and means to the city.

Then you have a slew of players you could do FaF for. Neiwendyk of course, Mikka, Vernon. I think Gio definitely goes into FaF, and a guy like Backlund for his longevity with the club. Regehr would be a perfect addition for his contributions and longevity. If Johnny and Mony sign another contract, they are basically shoe-ins. Lots of good candidates from the 80s and 90s. I'll let CP argue the merits of Theo

These are all guys that should be honored by the club, but Jersey retirement is just a bit too much.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: