Thread: Headphone amp
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 10:18 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
I understood most of that, the last two sentences mean sweet FA to me though. That's an interesting point regarding the Fulla vs the creative labs. I'm lacking in knowledge about fully how DACs and amps work vs sound cards. My mind still goes to the old days whne onboard sound was terrible and you needed a creative labs card to get good audio. That doesn't seem to be the case any more? Getting one of the Fulla's will cover those bases?

Calumniate - regarding the power needed to for the DT990's, the creative labs card i was looking at: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00117341
Seems to have the amp built enough that's strong enough to power my headphones. I'm pretty new to this though and maybe I misinterpreted the numbers? Similarly, the little amp/dac I have also says it can power headphones up to 600 ohms, mine are only 250. Am I not understanding correctly?
I am not totally sure if this is what he was saying, but I wonder if it might be a preamp vs power amp situation.

Badly explained, preamp helps shape/maintain the characteristics of the signal and sound vs a power amp is more volume. If I'm not mistaken, most of the suggestions are more pre amp than power amp. I believe the creative thing you posted is a portable amp? Which is basically a power amp.

When on the go, I used to use a Fiio E06 portable amp to boost volume. There was also a EQ feature to it that perhaps played with the sound kinda like a pseudo preamp function. It could drive up to 600 ohms too but it was only like $40.

The JDS might not work on the go, but probably would be superior to the creative with your computer. The ability to hook up speakers as well as headphones is pretty sweet functions wise. I don't think it's portable though.

It's might not be a bad idea to split the two concepts vs combining them. Get the right one for your computer gaming, and get a separate cheaper portable amp or a DAP with a built in amp for on the go?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: