Old 02-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #445
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't think your assessment is fair.

I think a far more fair assessment of what [fans] think is this:

"This team may not be the best team in the league, but they've shown they can score plenty of goals, and they've shown they can carry the play, and as a collective they are grossly underperforming relative to their potential. Their potential may be limited, as their #1C (if Monahan is that) lacks dynamicism, their #2C (if Lindholm is that) doesn't appear to drive play, and their #3C (if Backlund is that) is weak on faceoffs, their #4C is on LTIR, they don't even appear to have a #1 defenseman - but these are the sort of minutea that we'd like to be complaining about, rather than the team collectively looking like far less than the sum of its parts."
You and I are both guilty of generalizing but yours is a little less realistic than mine, for the average fan. But I guarantee you I can find posts on this site claiming the Flames would be right up there with the best, if they only had a good coach.

I agree they’ve shown they can be great in spurts, the longest being a half season under Peters. And I agree a new coach could probably squeeze better play for a while. I think an elite coach could do a little more. But I also think this team has forwards weaker line for line than any top teams. Now, with Markstrom, sure, they have a shot at a PO run, but that’s Markstrom. It’s not a coach.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote