Thread: [PGT] Leafs 2 Flames 1
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #443
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
“Anyways I stand by my main hypothesis which is that there is a psychological convenience in not placing primary blame on the coaching because it is exceedingly unlikely to be changed, and accepting or resigning yourself to the resultant inevitable hopelessness is not comfortable.”

I think the other conclusion is way more convenient - that this core is just fine and all they need is the right coach. That’s a far easier thing for a fan to swallow, as opposed to “my team just isn’t very good”.
I don't think your assessment is fair.

I think a far more fair assessment of what [fans] think is this:

"This team may not be the best team in the league, but they've shown they can score plenty of goals, and they've shown they can carry the play, and as a collective they are grossly underperforming relative to their potential. Their potential may be limited, as their #1C (if Monahan is that) lacks dynamicism, their #2C (if Lindholm is that) doesn't appear to drive play, and their #3C (if Backlund is that) is weak on faceoffs, their #4C is on LTIR, they don't even appear to have a #1 defenseman - but these are the sort of minutea that we'd like to be complaining about, rather than the team collectively looking like far less than the sum of its parts."

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote