View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #28
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have no respect for athiests and those of religious faith who wish to impose thier views on others.
There is a huge difference between imposing one's views and explaining them.

For example, an individual could take a position like, "I am personally opposed to abortion, and will explain my position to anyone who will listen and also choose not to associate with or respect anyone who chooses to have one. But I will not attempt to prevent anyone from getting one."

This would be a fairly hard-lined, but ultimately 'live-and-let-live' philosophy.

Likewise, if someone tells Girly Sports they are a moderate Christian and she explains to them why she thinks that is ultimately a ridiculous thing to believe, and that she doesn't respect their religion, she's not imposing her religious views on them. Depending on the situation, it could be rude, but that's all it is.

If those of us who view religion as a negative start becoming activist to outlaw religion, or to eliminate the right to speak about it, or prevent people from finding or purchasing information about it, NOW we're imposing our views. Or if we were to start requiring preachers to explain the errors of logic, or the contradictions that exist in their holy texts, that would be an imposition.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post: