View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 10:40 AM   #67
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, the system is fataed. After getting screwed out of sites for a few years in a row, my friends and I all just sit at our computers when dates open up and do a shotgun approach and book like fataing mad. It's the only way to get sites. We'll cancel them last minute if we decide not to go, but if you're not part of the problem you're basically not camping.

I'd say the bigger issue goes back to the #######s who don't want anything developed anywhere ever. Not going to go off on my regular tangent here, but we need to build more recreational sites in the mountains and elsewhere so our growing population can enjoy reasonable access to the outdoors. We need another Banff. We need another Lake Louise. We need more campgrounds. We have to start thinking about our kids' kids and the infrastructure they'll need in the way the people in the 50s, 60s and 70s had us in mind when they built up what we currently enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
It's a super aggravating system, and I've been shut out of my fav spots for the year already. Actually easier to book a site when the system first opens, then gets drastically harder after that, as the 10 day bookings are ahead of the system as it opens each day one by one.

So now I can only hope to jump on some cancellations if someone actually does so. It sucks, because I bought an inflatable boat this year just to use at that specific lake/campground.

Agreed on needing more recreational sites. Have we even added any as we've watched our population explode? To me they make sense, they keep wear & tear of the environment to one specific location instead of driving more people to crown land.
Rates go up, extra fees like a park pass required, and services being decreased (no firewood, etc), demand far exceeding supply, it just seems it gets worse and worse each year. There are still some campgrounds that have decent availability however, but the sites are meh, no attractions or things to do around there, etc.

This will be the first year I'll mainly be crown land camping over the weekends.
I camped at St Mary Reservoir in 2020, it wasn't too busy. Great swimming, the water was extremely clear and warm.

Firewood will never come back. It was massively abused.

Given the amount of environmental hysteria on social media platforms, I can't see adding campgrounds as a priority for any govt.

The quality of the average camper has declined. The amount of disrespectful behaviour I've seen in campgrounds and just parks in general has increased.

I went to Elbow Falls in 2020, a family left all their garbage on a picnic table. They just went into their cars and left. Thanks a-holes.