View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #96
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is a contract that works for both Mangiapane and the Flames (obviously..). Mangiapane is in a good spot here in Calgary playing alongside Backlund who has a rather proven history of elevating players around him. He gets top 6 playing time and gets to play with a superstar in Tkachuk, and one of the NHL's top defensive centres in Backlund. Loads of opportunity there, and at best he falls down one line if the Flames acquire someone else for the top 6 (doubtful with the cap) or Dube takes a huge step forward (and they might still keep Dube on the 3rd line even if true, as long as both players stay productive in their spots). This is a good gamble to take for Mangiapane, as I do think he will out-perform his deal and then be in a better position to cash-in.

Flames win since their window is obviously in the next 2 seasons (given the contracts and make-up of the team). Doesn't force the team to jettison anyone, even Ryan, to try and be cap compliant. They improved huge in net, took a hit on Brodie vs Tanev (Tanev should still prove to be capable, however), and lost some important depth, especially on the PK.

Hopefully Treliving can find replacement PK'ers (and hopefully Ward can work with Robinson and get him to become one himself).

However, there is a downside.

Tkachuk is going to see a huge increase after his deal is up, and he will have all the leverage. Mangiapane looks like he will be in the same boat. Gaudreau's contract comes up. Giordano's contract comes up. Monahan's the year after. Those are all very important deals on core players. The core is not locked-up long term. Treliving is going to have to navigate the next off-seasons incredibly carefully.

Would have been a bit of a risk locking-up Mangiapane longer term if he didn't end up working out as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess, but I would have liked to have seen a 4-5 year deal, but I also don't have a clue what numbers Mangiapane's camp was pushing to make that happen. Good for both sides right now. We will see what happens in 2 years.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote