View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ostensibly, TNG was more an exploration of the characters than it was an exploration of space. Worf and Data were given pretty much the only truly creative backstories that the writers could do much with. So we ended up with a lot of Klingon drama and Data's insecurities. What else were they going to do? Troy and Riker's post-relationship awkwardness? That would have been even worse than the giant push they tried to give Wesley. Even Picard wouldn't have been much of a character without Patrick Stewart completely owning the role.
The biggest problem was that in the last year or two of the show and the movies it became the Data and Picard variety hour, where you weren't sure who was going to do a Shakespeare performance or break into a song and dance routine.

It was actually pretty horrible to watch in the last two Star Trek TNG movies.

the rest of the cast, the Geordi's, the Troi's (except for her breasts) the which ever doctor and the Worf characters faded into the background and served to push buttons to initiate and inverse Tacyhon pulse.

I liked Patrick as Jean Luc Picard, but he just wasn't a captain that captured me like Kirk and Sisco did, with the exception of the episode when he went home after recovering from his experience with the Borg, he was just too softened up in the later years.

Kirk was a man's man, he didn't romance woman, he just totally used them, he was decisive and understood that a hard universe required hard and decisive choices. When he had to negotiate he did, but when it was time to knuckle up, he was there. Picard just kept talking and talking and blah blah blah.

With the exception of a few episodes and story arcs , I hated the fuzzy, bright soft TNG series, to me it was just meh.

Until the movies came along the ship didn't even take interior damage. You could practically hear the crew snicker when the ship took a massive hit and all it was was a soft beep and the stupid ventral shields failed again, and the bridge still looked perfect.

Every time the bridge elevator door opened you could practically hear the "Girl from Ipanima playing and you could practically see the elevator attendant retrieving the heated towel that he'd used to buff Picard's shiny head.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: