View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #3322
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I agree. The clubs aren't paying retail prices for their kits from Macron either. I'd guess that they'd be getting them at a wholesale price at most, or even less in exchange for advertising/exposure as per the sponsorship agreement with Macron.

Plus the potential missed opportunity of merch sales by going generic needs to be factored in. I'm sure that black shirts will sell well, but if I want something that screams Cavalry, I probably won't opt for "CanPL generic away black". As teams form their identities, league mandated black would seems like it would cost more in long-term branding opportunities missed than any pennies saved in the short-term.

I'm not overly fussed. As I mentioned earlier, the beauty of soccer is that the kits change frequently enough that nothing is ever around for long, for better or worse.
Well, same as OneSoccer cutting out live commentary halfway through the spring season, it all adds up. Macron may also wanted to scale back from providing that many unique skus to a league thst didn’t have probably as many eyes on it as anticipated or promised to them.

My guess is the league and club shared the kit costs.

Sure they don’t pay retail prices but when virtually every piece of the kit (shorts, socks, jerseys) were individual to each team and there was no sharing (some of the white shorts may have been the same, though I think they all had a unique stripe), it adds up in cost and availability, for the league and clubs and for Macron.

So instead of having to get an extra 3 pair of York9 away socks from Macron, now away standard design socks are from the league office.

I am sure Macron also didn’t see the financial or exposure return of providing or having 42 unique skus, when games are on a streaming service and attendance was below 2000 spectators, so now it’s down to 24 skus at most.

They made a big todo and video about all the coaches visiting the Macron facility and seeing all the designs and being bespoke; my guess is there will be no trip to Bologna this year.

No problem with the move either, though I did like the green away as it did fit the club branding and it was unique. I wonder if the sash will be gone on the new homes; they had unbranded jerseys in the shop the last handful of games that also didn’t have the sash, though I think they’re the same reddy orange color.

Last edited by browna; 11-28-2019 at 09:29 PM.